Sunday, September 11, 2011

Dovizioso: Ducati? A nice idea but...


Ducati's biggest problem at the moment is a lack of "sex appeal" since the arrival of Valentino Rossi. While some might have had their doubts about Marco Melandri and virtually ever other rider who has struggled on the Desmosedici, nobody can doubt the ability of Valentino Rossi. His reputation as a bike developer, along with that of Jeremy Burgess, has been tarnished somewhat, but that's another story. 

Valentino has actually come to realize that a good rider, or rather a great rider, is still at the mercy of the engineers and the factory. 

That said, it seemed clear at Misano that Ducati and their principle sponsor have decided the best way to close the gap is with a new project; the one that Rossi tested today at Mugello.  But is it enough to convince the other riders?

According to Andrea Dovizioso, who has received an offer from Ducati to race for a team of his chosing, either Pramac or Martinez, with an option for 2013, evidently not.

"The situation with Ducati?  We are talking with them as well, because I'm at a fortunate moment in my career where I have the possibility to speak with Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Ducati.  In many ways - Dovi told GPone.com, while in Rome to inaugurate a new Megabike Honda dealership - I see Ducati as a very interesting team, because they have the same mentality that I do. In my many years with Honda, I've always had to adapt to them, and that's already a big difference.  The Ducati-Marlboro family is very interesting and intriguing, even if they are going through some difficultly right now; after signing Valentino, the strongest rider out there, the one who has won more than anybody, they aren't getting the results. For sure the fact that he hasn't done as well as Casey cuts back slightly on my enthusiasm for taking that same route.  The idea is honestly attractive and fascinating to me, but I think it's a risk that doesn't make much sense considering that I believe the option will be open to me in another year, or further in the future.  Right now I think I can make my mark in a more decisive way next year on another bike, but seeing as how all the most important contracts will expire at the end of next season, we'll talk about it again based on future results."

source: GP One

No comments:

Post a Comment