Monday, July 25, 2011

Edwards eighth, takes Tech 3 to Boot Camp


Colin Edwards Laguna Seca 2011


Colin Edwards finished a disappointing eighth in his home US MotoGP at Laguna Seca on Sunday.

It wasn't the kind of result the Texan, who stood on the US GP podium in 2005, had expected and the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 rider admitted they had take a wrong turn in terms of set-up.

“Honestly I'm really disappointed because I came here for my home race and I expected bigger and better things," said Edwards. "I struggled all weekend with the set-up and we made a wrong turn somewhere in the last couple of races that have knocked us out of stride a little bit. 

"This morning we just put in the same setting I ran in last year's race and that wasn't great, but at least I felt more comfortable with it than what I'd been running all weekend. 

It wasn't the best setting but at least I felt comfortable to a point where I could push for some decent lap times. I just lacked front and rear grip. I've never ridden so hard in my life but I was a second off the pace and when [team-mate] Cal went down in front of me, there was no way I could go with Bautista. 

"I just had to be smooth because if I pushed I just ended up going slower. I still moved up in the Championship and got some good points, so now I'm just looking forward to a couple of weeks relaxing to get ready for the final part of the season.”

Team manager Herve Poncharal was pleased Edwards elected to settle for eight points.

“Colin had a really strong race today and he worked hard for some good points. He never gave up his pace, the rhythm was very constant and he was very near the pace of the factory Ducati for almost the entire race," said the Frenchman. 

"He asked me on the grid what I would like and I said that an eighth position would make me happy because it had not been an easy weekend for Colin. So I am happy with his performance."

Poncharal then confirmed that the Tech 3 team will be heading to Edwards' "Texas Tornado Boot Camp" riding school.

"The whole team is going to Colin's Boot Camp tomorrow and we are all excited about that," said Poncharal. "Hopefully we will all be back with fully recharged batteries when the season continues in Czech Republic."

The Brno round will be held on August 12-14.

source: crash

No comments:

Post a Comment