Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dovizioso: “I had never been as strong in every race as I have this year”


In his third season riding for the Repsol Honda Team, Andrea Dovizioso reaches the summer break firmly placed in third position of the World Championship, having achieved four podiums and taken points in every race in 2011.

What are your plans for these free days?
“Family holidays, five days in Sardinia, resting at the beach with my family and my friends to relax and gather energy for Brno.”

Are you satisfied with third position overall?
“With the third position, yes, but not with the difference to Casey (Stoner) and Jorge (Lorenzo). Fifty points is too much, but nothing is impossible.”

What is your assessment of this first half of the season?
“I want to see the positive side and we are third in the championship, I had never been so strong in all races as I have been this year. So I am very happy with the job done by the team and with the feeling of the bike, but naturally, our aim is to fight for the championship and right now, we are not competitive enough to set up a strategy to do it. Anyway, we are well placed in the championship and there are still eight races ahead, so we have to believe. We will see which result we get in the end.”

We have seen you on the second and third steps of the podium. What does Andrea Dovizioso need to fight for victory?
“It is very difficult because the level is very high. Lorenzo is having a great season, Casey is very strong and Dani (Pedrosa), when he is in good form, sets the difference. It is really very difficult to try and beat them. I mean, beating all of them at the same time, because sometimes one and sometimes the other is in front.”

Which race has been your favourite so far this season?
“I think the Mugello race this year was beautiful. To ride in Mugello, fighting for victory and achieving second position after a battle in front of the Italian fans was something important. Feeling their support was such a great feeling that I will always remember it.”

If you could go back in time is there a decision of yours from the first half of the season, either in a race or out of one, that you would change?
“No. I think that we have achieved the maximum we could do with what we had, except in Laguna Seca, where the maximum was to be fourth and we did not get it. But until then I did all I could. It is not enough, because we want to fight for the championship, but I believe we could do nothing more.”

How do you see Pedrosa, Stoner and Lorenzo at this moment and what do you think can happen in the fight for the title between Stoner and Lorenzo?
“It will undoubtedly be very difficult to reduce the distance to Lorenzo and Casey, because when they go well, they win, and if not, they are on the podium. It is very difficult, but I want to believe in my chances and we will see. I think Dani is in a better situation, because he has less pressure and he is very fast, so he can fight for victory in all races.”

Of the races left, which one you are most looking forward to?
“Probably Malaysia. The Sepang circuit is one of my favourite tracks. It is amazing to ride there with a MotoGP bike.”

Interview courtesy of Repsol Media

No comments:

Post a Comment